Excellence in Service Learning Awards
CCSR presents annual Excellence in Service Learning Awards to students and faculty. To nominate a student or a faculty member, please link to the appropriate online submission form below. Self-nominations are encouraged.
Nominations due by 5:00 pm, Friday, April 14, 2017.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
One faculty member per year is honored for implementing service learning in a manner consistent with good practice and for demonstrating an impact on students and the community both in and out of the classroom.
$500 faculty award
- Service learning pedagogy incorporated into at least three semester-long courses at the University of Kansas
- Courses listed as designated service learning courses with the Center for Civic & Social Responsibility
- Tenure-track, non-tenure track, and graduate teaching assistants are all eligible self-nominations accepted
Faculty Excellence in Service Learning will be determined by:
- Implementing service learning in a manner consistent with good practice
- Meaningful integration of the service experience with course content
- Appropriate and effective incorporation of critical reflection Working closely with community partner(s) in the development of a service-learning project or course
- Demonstrating an impact on students and the community both in and out of the classroom
- Evidence of dissemination of scholarship (publications, presentations, performances, etc.)
- Consideration of, and ongoing commitment to, the needs of community partner(s)
- Evidence of impact on student learning, self-awareness, and civic commitment
Student Award for Excellence in Service Learning
One student is honored for showing civic commitment,
community awareness, and positive community impact through service learning, as well as the academic impact and personal development through service learning.
$500 student award
- Junior or senior standing
- Certification in service learning completed
- Self-nominations accepted
Student Excellence in Service Learning will be determined by:
- Evidence of civic commitment, community awareness, and positive community impact through service learning, such as:
- Engaging proactively with community partner(s)
- Demonstrating exceptional or innovative service accomplishments
- Leading, inspiring, and engaging others in action
Evidence of the impacts on his/her academic learning and personal development, such as:
- Demonstrating excellence in critical thinking and quality reflection
- Demonstrating depth of understanding of the course material and exhibiting personal growth as a result of the service-learning experience
- Demonstrating deepened understanding of the social responsibility of professionals in their field or discipline
- Demonstrating high quality work, showing a high level of responsibility and professionalism